Nuffnang

Thursday, October 16, 2008

.: Tear Drops On My Guitar :.

Drew and I have been friends from back since as far as I can remember. We were next-door neighbors, and he would often come over and we would play together. Being two years older than me, he was like an elder brother I never had. He was always very protective of me, and really took good care of me.

We spend all our growing up time with each other. We took the same bus to our primary school every morning. And we would meet up during recesses. When I was down with chicken pox, he disobeyed our parents’ commands, and sneaked into my room with his Nintendo for me to occupy myself. End up, he contracted my chicken pox viral and we were off school for two weeks – and it was then we got the highest score in town for the Super Mario game.

--*--

As years go by, the gawky, nerdy Drew blossomed into a tall, well built, almost Greek-god like young man. Yet, his sense of humor – or lack of it, remains the same, though he never fails to make me laugh with his lame jokes or funny Johnny-Bravo pick up lines that he would try out on me. No one ever gets why I snorts and roll on the floor laughing till my stomach hurts at Drew’s jokes, but he’s the only person who could make me laugh that way.

It was that one particular day when I was at his place watching Casablanca (it was our all time favorite and we will watch it over and over again), when he put his arms over my shoulder, like he always does, and at that moment, I felt my heart pulse beating faster and my palms sweating. For the first time, I was actually nervous around Drew. It was then that I realize that I’ve fallen for him.

Of course there was times when I contemplated telling him my feelings. But I don’t want to ruin out friendship. It was not worth the risk, so I kept it all to myself, and Teddy, whom I’m sure won’t divulge this lil secret

--*--

I was in Drew’s room the on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I lay down on his bed, face up, hugging the Barney pillow that I got for him for his 9th birthday with my hard saved allowance. The royal purple pillowcase is now almost grayish-purplish like. He was lying down next to me, fiddling with his handphone.

We were quite for a while. I looked around his room. I caught a look at the metallic photo frame engraved with “Best Friend Forever” with our picture together, taken about a year back. We were hugging each other, beaming at the trophy between us; that of we won inthe talentine competition – where Drew & I sang a beautiful duet. I have an identical photo frame and picture lying on my bedside table.

“I’ve something to tell you…”

My heart skipped a beat. Could it be? Could it be that he feels the same for me?

“I think I’m in love…”

I’m nervous at the same time, speechless. I recalled that he once told me that I’m his “true love”, but that was ten years ago, when we were watching Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs together.

“She’s sweet, nice and has a big heart. Every time I see her smile, it makes my heart melt...”

“You know, …” he turned from his bed, lying flat on his belly, and looked at me with those big brown eyes,

“…Amy is the only girl that makes me feel this way. She’s not like any other girls, she’s genuinely beautiful inside out.”

I tried my best to fake a smile, swallowing hard on the tears that are threatening to flow out anytime.

The next hour that followed felt like eternity as I listen to Drew describing Amy. She sounds so perfect, so flawless; I wished that I was her.

I ran over to my house, locked my room door and drown my pillow with my tears.

I looked at our picture.

If only Drew knows.

--*--

A month has passed by – Drew’s asked Amy to be his girl. Things between Drew and me can never be the same again.
No more watching classic movies with each other, no more ice-skating or hiking together, no more sharing Swenson’s Earthquake and spoon-fighting for the only cherry – all these things he will share with Amy, not me.


As I look outside my window at night, saw a shooting star – I closed my eyes, and made a wish – for Drew and his happiness.

I picked up my guitar, cried, as I strummed.

If only Drew knows.

Drew looks at me,
I fake a smile so he won't see
That I want and I need everything that we should be
I'll bet she's beautiful, that girl he talks about
And she's got everything that I have to live without

Drew talks to me,
I laugh cause it's just so funny
That I can't even see anyone when he's with me
He says he's so in love, he's finally got it right,
I wonder if he knows he's all I think about at night

He's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star
He's the song in the car I keep singing, don't know why I do

Drew walks by me, can he tell that I can't breathe?
And there he goes, so perfectly,
The kind of flawless I wish I could be
She'd better hold him tight, give him all her love
Look in those beautiful eyes and know she's lucky cause

He's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star
He's the song in the car I keep singing, don't know why I do

So I drive home alone, as I turn out the light
I'll put his picture down and maybe
Get some sleep tonight

He's the reason for the teardrops on my guitar
The only one who's got enough of me to break my heart
He's the song in the car I keep singing, don't know why I do
He's the time taken up, but there's never enough
And he's all that I need to fall into..

Drew looks at me, I fake a smile so he won't see.



(This story is only fictional - any resemblance is purely coincidental)



Teardrops on My Guitar - Taylor Swift

4 comments:

Yin Tan said...

Nice one but the title makes it all predictable.


I want to write one, after exams!

Kathlynn said...

haha... i guess all accountants are predictable no matter how much they try not to ;)
I'm gonna post the song up (when I find the time) so.... in the meantime, its just the story ;)

Samuel C said...

i love the story
totally grabbed me

Kathlynn said...

thanks! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin