Nuffnang

Thursday, April 19, 2007

.: Photographs :.

There will always come a point in time where we sit and look back at our life. Memories begin to flood in like water from a crumbling dam. Good ol' memories, some of happy times and more often than not of sad times.

When I'm back in my hometown, Malacca, I never fail to do this ; flip through the photograph albums parked underneath the coffee table in the living room, whether I'm alone, or sharing it with someone. I love to look back at all the pictures taken. From pictures of my Grandpa's younger days (he's really good looking back then, you know, the playboyish kinda look), pictures of my aunties and uncles growing up, or our annual family pictures.

Sometimes my brother and cousins would point out to each other how silly we used to look, all the funny poses we made, the horrendous (with nasty Simon Cowell's tone) clothes we were made to wear, some were actually hand-me-down-clothes so you can see Ben wearing it one year and Kevin wearing the exact same clothes five years later. Talk about handing down bad jeans (pun intended!)

Then of course there are those sweet memories we, like the picture of my Grandpa teaching me to dance (I failed miserably coz I'm just born with two left feet), the birthdays we celebrated together as a family, the weddings we attended, the annual reunion dinner we have on Chinese New Year's eve, (with all the nice food our Grandma cooked).

People often say that a picture paints a thousand words.

I disagree.

It does more than that.
It brings back a million memories, a billion emotions.
It also reminds us that even though we would one day leave this earth, the best things we could leave behind for our loved ones is not earthly possesions like silver or gold, rather it would be of memories that would last forever.

Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love,
the things you are,
the things you never want to lose.
~From the television show The Wonder Years

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin