Nuffnang

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

.: Eggs in Purgatory :.

I am really not sure of the history behind the name of this dish, but what I do know that it is a dish where fresh eggs are cracked (whole) onto a simmering tomato based sauce.

There are plenty of variations of this recipe, from a simple tomato base to a slightly more rich tomato-based sauce that have sliced bell pepper or avocadoes or onions or capers or artichokes or any combinations of those listed. Then of course, you can choose to add complimentary fresh herbs - the basils, the cilantros, whatever tickles your fancy. And lastly, it’s topped with a sprinkle of cheddar or parmesan (or you may even want to flood it with it). Then of course there’s also the method of cooking, some simmering the sauce under a slow fire, while the sauce cooks the egg or baked in the oven in an oven-proof dish.

What did I do?

Well, here is a very heavily modified recipe. Because I reached home at 9pm yesterday. And because I was craving for something with eggs. And because I have some bread left in the fridge. And because I’m cooking for one pax.

Well, here’s to all the because.

Lazy’s Version of Eggs in Purgatory 



1 egg
1 clove of garlic
4 tablespoonful of spaghetti sauce (tomato based of course)
Some chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste
Slices of day old bread


1. Lightly fry some finely chopped garlic with some olive oil in a non stick pan. Turn off the fire. Scoop all of the garlic and place it onto a ramekin. Leave behind the olive oil.
2. Add the spaghetti sauce into the ramekin.
3. Season with chili flakes, salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Crack the egg into the ramekin.
5. Put it in a steamer and steam for about 4 mins or so, until the egg white solidifies, but don’t overdo it, coz we still want the egg yold runny.
6. Sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese on the top.
7. Toast the bread on the pan that has the olive oil, it will give the bread a nice crisp with a nice garlicky flavour. (I only did this via the pan coz I don't have an oven toaster with me, and to use the oven for a couple of slices of bread would be wasteful)
8. Use the bread, dip in and enjoy! Yummers!

I enjoyed it so much that I'm going to try it again in a more 'proper' and elaborate manner! I'm thinking canned tomatoes, bell pepper, fresh basil and perhaps free-range eggs. Mmmmmmm..........

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin